Coffee

Writer Bio

My photo
Storytelling is a talent passed down through the generations in my family. It is a way of life in that the more you live, the better the story; the deeper the experience, the broader the plain to connect with readers. Just like life is about people so writing is about people - about their love, their loss, their triumphs, their failures, and their x ever after. I write to understand myself and make sense of life. I share my work in order to find others who can relate to my characters, or their lives, or the moral of the story.

Tuesday, November 09, 2010

Day 9 - still in the running

Listening to: I hate everything about you - 3 Days Grace
Reading: Prophecy's Ruin- Sam Bowring
Writing: Thunderstruck
Playing: DMC 4 - HM
Mood:
 
 

Oh my gosh! This song makes me sick with nostalgia!

It's funny how I'm able to purposely go a day without working on bringing my fanfictions to an end, yet when I'm focussed on an original project, all these things that remind me of my fanfics crop up all over the place all the time. If it's not because of the reviews I receive in dribs and drabs, it's because a song that I associate with a certain story would start playing. Not to mention that I'm being flooded with scenes for this or that or the other fanfic, good scenes that I'm absolutely burning to write.

But no!
Discipline! Must! Be! Had!

Day 8 of Nano was a complete failure, in that I didn't write more than five sentences the whole day. I was feeling too ill to try work late into the night again, and I had about ten (interrupted) minutes during the day to get my writing done.

Today I woke up late (I was close to double digits) because my partner worked from home to give me a hand with the kids. I've been groggy all day, but I figured I needed to preservere with this story, come tissue hell or highly intense headache. And I did, and it paid off. I boosted my wordcount from 12k to 15k, just like that!

Well, no, not just like that. I've been writing practically non-stop from 11 in the morning til 7 in the evening. I've added another character into the mix, which should spice things up and rock my wordcount sky high in the days to come. I can now finally start on my third chapter (there will be ten). Hurrah.

On a slightly different topic, I've gotten some good reading in today as well. If anyone else has read this book (see start of post), feel free to contact me to discuss or gush or rant about this or that or him and her. At this stage I'm at the place where Corlas has walked into Fahren's tower and taken Bel. I kept thinking, run, Corlas, RUN BEFORE THEY CATCH YOU! And then the evil little bird thing happened, and the suspense on whether he was going to step outside that ward or not was absolutely killer,  and I found myself thinking RUN BACK, Corlas, RUN BACK!

Sam Bowring's Broken Well trilogy is made of win. The descriptions are amazing, the Throne and his son and the old mage remind me so much of my own royal originals (Galen and Demetrius and Sebastien, etc), and I was enthralled at the part where Losara was playing with the shadows. I mean *mind leaks* this book is honestly one of the best I've ever read. If they turn it into a movie, or a TV series even, I'll watch it, record it, and watch it again and again.

 I know I'll be rereading this book until it's falling apart like my Forbidden Game trilogy (what is with me and trilogies?) and if I ever get to meet the author in person, I'd ask for them to sign the front of my book. Yes, he really is that good.  His writing evokes emotion, and his fight scenes are spectacular (if Tyrellan wasn't a goblin, I'd have fallen for him). Although it is the kind of book you can't read a little of one day and little of the next day, not if you want to keep track of what's happening (and there is a LOT going on) and experience the overall ambience of the world painted on those pages.

What caught my attention about this book is the synopsis here:

For a millennium the lands of Fenvarrow and Kainordas have been at war, ever since the gods of shadow and light broke the Great Well of Souls. In the absence of victory a stalemate persists - until a prophecy foretells of a child of power who will destroy the balance forever.
 
Mages from the two lands race to claim the newborn, but in a ferocious battle of magic fought over the baby, his very soul is ripped apart, leaving two boys in its wake. Each side seizes a child, uncertain whether they now possess the one capable of victory.
 
Bel grows to be a charismatic though troubled warrior, Losara an enigmatic and thoughtful mage. Both are strong, yet incomplete. As they struggle to discover their destinies, each must ask the ultimate question: will he, one day, have to face himself?
 
Interesting, yes? Well if you're an avid reader and you're a major fan of the Devil May Cry series, you'll see some similarities between this concept and that of DMC.
 
And if I hadn't known any better, I would have said Losara is Vergil reincarnate. With blue hair and dark eyes, but the personality traits and power reminded me of him nonetheless. Plus, he's the one on the dark side.

Anyway. It's a good read, very creative with a variety of non-sue characters, and is definitely lodged into my list of favourite books. I'd recommend it for anyone with a vivid imagination.

Until the next blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment